30. List and describe the major
antiprotozoan drugs and give their uses.
31. List and describe the major
antihelminthic drugs and give their uses.
A Survey Of Commonly
Used Antimicrobial Drugs
used to treat malaria
Inhibits DNA synthesis; used to treat malaria
– used to treat malaria; replacement for chloroquine
– drug of choice for giardiasis.
(idoquinol) – used to treat amoebic diseases; can cause optic nerve
Metronidazole (Flagyl) - Damages DNA; Treatment for Trichomonas vaginalis,
giardiasis and amoebic dysentery
– treatment for Chagas’ disease
- Prevents the production of ATP; treatment of tapeworm infestations
- Causes muscular spasms in Helminths; alters permeability of plasma membranes;
Broad spectrum of activity. treatment of Tapeworm infestations and fluke caused
disease including schistosomiasis
- Disrupts microtubles which results in the inability to generate ATP; treatment
of Ascariasis (Ascaris lumbricoides), Pinworms (Enterobius vermicularis),
Whipworms (Trichuris trichiura)
pamoate - Paralyzes the organisms; treatment of Pinworms (Enterobius vermicularis),
Hookworms, and Ascariasis (Ascaris lumbricoides)